Certain items may endanger the safety of our passengers. That is why transportation as hand or checked baggage is prohibited or restricted.
Certain objects may not be transported on an aircraft at all. They are not permitted in the hand or checked baggage, and will be confiscated. In the first instances, these items are objects that could endanger passenger health and safety. Edelweiss accepts no liability for confiscated objects.
- Briefcases and diplomat's cases with built-in alarm devices
- Non-rechargeable lithium batteries and cells with more than 2 g lithium content
- Rechargeable lithium batteries with more than 160 Wh
- Defective or damaged lithium batteries, regardless if loose or inserted into devices
- Flammable solid items such as strike anywhere matches and other flammable and combustible materials
- Flammable, non-flammable, deep-frozen and toxic propellants
- Lighter gas
- Camping gas
- Camping stove
- Combustible paste (e.g. for a fondue)
- Flammable liquids such as lacquers, thinners, petrol, solvents, or alcohol >70% VOL
- Flammable and non-flammable paints
- Objects that release flammable gases on contact with water
- Irritant gases such as pepper spray, KO sprays etc.
- Gas for lighters, camping stoves and burners
- Butane gas bottles
- Gas cylinders exceeding 50 mL capacity
- Blue flame lighters or cigar lighters
- Carbon cartridges for mineral water preparation (e.g. soda cartridges)
- Diving Equipment: Compressed air cylinders (unless empty and with valves open)
- Radioactive material
- Toxic and infectious substances (viruses, bacteria)
- Explosives, fireworks, signal rockets, party poppers and christmas crackers
- Oxidising substances such as bleach and peroxide
- Corrosive substances such as acids, mercury, alkaline and cell battery liquids
- Car batteries and wet batteries
- Magnetic objects and other substances that are classified as dangerous
- Electric shock weapons (e.g. tasers) with explosives, compressed gases or batteries
- E-bikes, hoverboards, balance wheels, luggage scooters or other lithium battery powered transportation devices
- Combustion engines (e.g. lawnmower, powered saws)
- Blasting caps
- Detonators and fuses
- Mines, grenades, and other explosive military stores
- Smoke-generating canisters and smoke-generating cartridges
- Items of baggage that contain an integral, non-removable battery >0,3 g LC or >2,7 Wh
- Laser Pointers (Exception: laser pointers category/class 1)
This list is not complete
Specific restrictions apply to the transportation of certain objects in an aircraft. The amount or quantity of these objects is precisely defined. If these amounts are exceeded, transportation will be prohibited.
- Maximum 1 per passenger
- In checked baggage only
- Must be in its protective case
- Such as hair sprays, perfumes, colognes, alcohol-based hand sanitizers, medicines containing alcohols and non-flammable / non-toxic aerosols for sporting or home use
- The amount that is required on the journey (max. 0.5 l or 0.5 kg per piece and max. 2.0 l or 2.0 kg per passenger)
- Release valves on aerosols must be protected by a cap or other suitable means to prevent inadvertent release of the contents
- Only permitted in hand baggage
- May not be used or recharged on board
- Measures must be taken to prevent accidental activation
- 1 per passenger, carried by the individual
- A maximum of 15 devices is allowed per person.
- Should preferably be carried in the passenger cabin, on the person or in the carry-on baggage.
- If carried in checked baggage, the device must be completely switched off (not in sleep or hibernation mode), protected from damage and unintentional activation must be prevented.
- If a device cannot be carried in the passenger cabin (i.e. due to size or weight), the maximum number of 3 devices larger than a smartphone may be placed into one checked baggage, only if the checked baggage does not contain any flammable material (e.g. perfumes, aerosols).
- For baggage equipped with a lithium battery (other than a button cell) the battery must be removed, protected against short circuit, and carried separately in the hand baggage.
- Spare batteries may only be carried in hand baggage
- Spare batteries must be protected against short circuit
- Each person is limited to a maximum of 20 spare batteries
- Lithium metal batteries may have a maximum lithium content of 2 g
- Lithium-ion batteries may not exceed 100 Wh (Note: exceptionally a maximum of 2 batteries up to 160 Wh may be carried per person with prior approval.)
- Max. 2.5 kg per passenger by prior registration
- Only in checked baggage by prior registration; max. 5 kg cylinder
- Oxygen sprays (canned oxygen) are generally excluded from transportation
- With non-spillable, spillable or lithium-ion batteries by prior registration
- By prior registration
- Only in hand baggage and by prior registration
- 1 item per passenger by prior registration (not allowed into or out of the USA)
- Gas cartridge must be put in the backpack (spare cartridges not allowed)
- Device may only contain non-dangerous goods
- Nitrogen must be fully absorbed in a porous material
- Package must not allow build-up of pressure inside the container
- Package must not permit the release of any refrigerated liquid nitrogen irrespective of the orientation of the dry shipper
- 2 pieces per passenger with prior registration only
- By prior registration only
- Non-toxic, non-flammable gas only
- Maximum 50 mL water capacity per cartridge
- Maximum 4 cartridges per person
- Maximum 70 % alcohol by volume
- Must be in retail packaging
- Single receptacles must not exceed 5 L
- Totally maximum 5 L per person
Note: Alcoholic beverages containing 24 % or less alcohol by volume is not considered as Dangerous Goods.
- By prior registration only
- Ammunition must be classified in Division 1.4S (UN0012 or UN0014), without explosive or incendiary projectiles
- Quantity must not exceed 5 kg gross weight per single baggage and per person
- Ammunition must be securely packaged, i.e. in standard commercial packaging
- Weapons and ammunition must be packed in different bags
In the Event of Violation
These lists are not exhaustive. Failure to comply with these regulations will result in imprisonment, and at the least in a fine of up to CHF 20,000.–.
If you are not sure about anything or would like to know more about this subject, our service center will be happy to help you further.