Summer Skiing on the Glacier
The summer ski resort on the Folgefonna glacier opens as of 1 May. Here you can enjoy not only a beautiful cross-country or downhill skiing holiday, but also a two-day glacier hike in snowshoes with an overnight stay in a chalet – even in the height of summer. But please do not overestimate your abilities! This is a very demanding route even for advanced skiers – you’ll spend ten hours walking on the first day and as much as twelve on the second. The Folgefonni Glacier Team does, however, offer an easier glacier hike starting from the Fonna Glacier Center at 11 a.m. and ending in the afternoon. You can book it as a day trip from Bergen.
The Mountains of Bergen
You can enjoy a great view of the city from the 399-metre-high Fløyen. You can reach the summit in just eight minutes by taking the funicular. It is currently being renovated, but will be in operation again in April 2022. On foot, however, It only takes 40 minutes. A restaurant with a viewing terrace, a kiosk, and a playground make Fløyen an excellent destination for families. There is also a troll forest at the summit with huge wooden sculptures – a real test of courage for smaller children. For the fit hikers among you: you can reach the neighbouring hill Ulriken via a path with 1333 steps. Other ways to reach the top are a hiking trail or the cable car. Your reward: a 300-metre-long zip line awaits you at the top!
Spectacular Views on Trolltunga
The mountain hike up to Trolltunga, which translates to ‘Troll Tongue’, rewards you with what is sure to be the best photo opportunity of your entire holiday: you’re able to stand or sit at the end of this 700-metre-long rock plateau that juts out of the mountain above Lake Ringedalsvatnet. Ideally, hike up there as a group so that you can take photos of each other. But be aware that the hike is demanding, with 700 metres of elevation in the first 4 kilometres. After that, the hike continues moderately for four to five hours, with only another 200 metres of elevation. And then: Trolltunga – and at least eight others that are waiting there for you to take their photo ...
- Header - Photo by Marco Bottigelli on Getty Images
- Paragraph 1 - Photo by Luis Leamus on Getty Images
- Paragraph 1 - Photo by tronixAS on Adobe Stock
- Paragraph 2 - Photo by 2014 Børth Aadne Sætrenes on Getty Images
- Paragraph 2 - Photo by Anders Blomqvist on Getty Images
- Paragraph 3 - Photo by nielskliim on Adobe Stock
- Paragraph 3 - Photo by Morten Falch Sortland on Getty Images
- Paragraph 4 - Photo by Patrick Mayr on Getty Images
- Paragraph 4 - Photo by Tomas Marek on Adobe Stock
- Paragraph 5 - Photo by Streyking Photography on Alamy