Bogotá is not only as a metropolis colorful, extremely lively and in places slightly bizarre. Outside of Colombia's capital you can also discover new worlds and experience adventures. Get involved with Colombia and explore the most exciting destinations around Bogotá.
A Real Goldmine
The small mountain lake "Guatavita" is located 1.5 hours from Bogotá and is considered a sacred lagoon, because it is closely associated with the South American legend of El Dorado. Whether the new kings of the indigenous peoples daringly jumped into the lake during their sacrifice to the sun god or carefully washed the gold dust off their skin at the edge will probably remain a mystery forever. It is agreed, however, that they sailed into the middle of the "Laguna de Guatavita" on a lavishly decorated raft and that some of the gold sank to the bottom. No wonder that emeralds, coins and even nose rings have been discovered in the water. Maybe you will have a little luck finding gold during your trip to the lagoon.
Hiking in the Desert
Anyone strolling through the bustling streets of Bogotá would hardly suspect that just 40 minutes from the city center is a desert landscape not made for human life. Bright orange, sharp-edged sand formations that are nevertheless soft as powder characterize the landscape of the "Desierto de Sabrinsky" and appear as if painted. Barren shrubs and tall cacti are of course not to be missed for the original desert feeling.
- Header - Photo by Loren Bedeli (owned by Edelweiss)
- Paragraph 1 - Photo by Mark Pitt Images on Shutterstock
- Paragraph 2 - Photo by juancamilo on Adobe Stock
- Paragraph 2 - Photo by andresnaviapaz on Adobe Stock
- Paragraph 3 - Photo by Juan Camilo Bernal on Getty Images
- Paragraph 3 - Photo by pierrick on Adobe Stock
- Paragraph 4 - Photo by Heinner on Shutterstock
- Paragraph 5 - Photo by Martin Mecnarowski on Shutterstock
- Paragraph 5 - Photo by Edwin Martinez on Getty Images
- Paragraph 6 - Photo by juan on Adobe Stock
- Paragraph 6 - Photo by James on Adobe Stock
- Paragraph 7 - Photo by K-PH on Adobe Stock
- Paragraph 7 - Photo by Alanda Savat on Shutterstock
- Paragraph 8 - Photo by julioclavijol on Adobe Stock