Finland’s ski resorts: spacious and not too steep
Do you love the far north and want guaranteed snow? We have an insider tip for you: Finland! High up in the Arctic Circle, in Finnish Lapland, snow and well-maintained slopes and pistes are guaranteed. Expansive ski resorts await you here, most of which are not particularly steep and ideal for leisure skiers. Not quite as high as the Alps - the highest ski resort is in Pallas, Finland, around 780 metres above sea level - but with guaranteed snowfall and no long waiting times at the start.
No fear of wintry roads
Finnish Lapland is really not difficult to reach. You can head for any of the beautiful ski resorts from Ivalo, where Finland’s northernmost airport is located, either by renting a car or booking a place on the shuttle bus through your accommodation. Scheduled buses do not run in the winter season. To get around, a rental car is the best option. Driving is easy, and there is no need for a 4-wheel drive - the roads in the region are always cleared.
That’s right, you read that correctly. You will be provided with special thermal clothing. Because, with all due respect, your conventional ski gear might not be warm enough for Lapland. Here, winter temperatures can drop to -25 or -30 degrees. Wearing a light outfit and forgoing your jacket completely for après-ski is not advisable in Finland.
However, no one really gets cold during downhill or cross-country skiing. Thanks to the physical exertion, you can usually spend four to five hours outside without any problems. And even if it’s not bitterly cold every day, it’s advisable to wear a balaclava helmet, especially when skiing, to avoid icy cold wind in your face.
Cross-country skiing: endless horizons
If you prefer to forgo the rapid downhill skiing and opt for leisurely horizontal tours, there are extensive cross-country ski trails stretching across the snow-white landscape. These trails are perfect for skating and classic cross-country skiing. Rent the appropriate equipment from your hotel or at the Saariselkä Ski Shop. Ski right up to your accommodation and use the equipment for as many days as you wish.
- Header - Photo by JFL Photography on Adobe Stock
- Paragraph 1 - Photo by Jamo Images on Adobe Stock
- Paragraph 2 - Photo by nblx on Shutterstock
- Paragraph 3 - Photo by Juha Laine on Visit Finland
- Paragraph 3 - Photo by Aimeric D. Photo on Adobe Stock
- Paragraph 4 - Photo by Global Warming Images on Alamy
- Paragraph 5 - Photo by NorthernExposure on Alamy
- Paragraph 5 - Photo by majopez on Shutterstock
- Paragraph 6 - Photo by Global Warming Images on Alamy
- Paragraph 7 - Photo by robertharding on Alamy
- Paragraph 7 - Photo by Aku Pöllänen on Visit Finland
- Paragraph 8 - Photo by K. Chae on Visit Finland
- Paragraph 8 - Photo by Antti Pietikäinen on Visit Finland