Plaza Major – A Good Start
This is the hub of Palma's cultural and social life. Four five-story buildings frame the square with its stores, bars, and restaurants and acts as a backdrop for street performers. The Plaza Major is also known for its artisan market which takes place almost all year round. From here you can reach Mercat de L'Olivar, the largest indoor market in Palma.
Mercat de L'Olivar - A Culinary Journey
Fruits, vegetables, meat, fish, seafood, cheese, and spices - everything your heart desires can be found in the traditional market hall. Let yourself be guided by the smells and tastes, try typical Mallorcan and international delicacies, and discover the new culinary trends in the many restaurants that belong to Mercat de L'Olivar.
Cathedral of Mallorca
Built in the Gothic-Romanesque style, the 6600 square meter cathedral has two names: "La Seu" - the bishop's seat - and Cathedral of the Holy Mary. The foundation stone was laid in 1230, however, it was not finished until the 16th/17th century. It received its present shape by the Spanish architect Gaudí. From July to October, you can reach the roof terrace via 200 steps.
Palau de l’Almudaina
Opposite of the cathedral is Palau de l'Almudaina. This palace now serves as summer residence of the Spanish royal family and is mainly used by the military as headquarters. Nevertheless, royal chambers can be visited, and antique furniture and Gothic architecture can be admired. The Spanish King still holds receptions in the Gothic hall.
Paseo del Borne – Not Just for Shopping Queens
The car-free street separates the busy part of Palma from the old town. Not only luxury labels are represented on the "golden mile" of Palma, but also well-known fashion chains of the lower price range. However, a stroll through this street is not just simply recommended for those who need new apparel, for the fashion chain Zara is housed in Palma's former municipal cinema, the city's architecturally most valuable building.
- Header - Photo by Ana-Maria Nichita on Unsplash
- Paragraph 1 - Photo from Shuttledirect.com
- Paragraph 1 - Photo by Medienservice on Pixabay
- Paragraph 2 - Photo by Medienservice on Pixabay
- Paragraph 2 - Photo from Seemallorca.com
- Paragraph 3 - Photo by Medienservice on Pixabay
- Paragraph 3 - Photo by Nicola Fittipaldi on Unsplash
- Paragraph 4 - Photo from Patrimonionacional.es
- Paragraph 5 - Photo from Reisemagazin-online.com
- Paragraph 5 - Photo from Vistar2dias.com
- Paragraph 6 - Photo from Welcomepalma.com
- Paragraph 6 - Photo from Hipermeduala.org
- Paragraph 7 - Photo from Wikimedia.org
- Paragraph 8 - Photo from Helemcummins.de
- Paragraph 8 - Photo from Can-Perla.com