This holiday island holds an unparalleled treasure: its wild nature. We show you where families can find the very best of Sardinia’s natural beauty.
The “Grotta di Nettuno” cave network stretches over four kilometres between rough rocky cliffs. Do you think the god of the sea still lives there? Anyway, in addition to mighty stalagmites and stalactites, you can also discover an underground saltwater lake. While the children discover why the various parts of the cave have names like “Organ room”, “ Palace room”, and the “Room of ruins”, the adults may remember the 1978 horror film “Island of the Fishermen”, which was filmed here. The stalactite cave in the north-west of Sardinia can be reached either by boat or via 650 steps along a steep wall – nothing happens at Neptune without a little adventure.
Where the Wild Deer Live
The macchia has a strong scent of resin and herbs, wild cats, and marten scurry through the underbrush. The typical Mediterranean shrubland region around Mount Arcosu is the largest in the Mediterranean and has been a WWF biosphere reserve since 2014. This protected area in the south of the island is primarily intended to bring children and young people closer to the special features of Sardinian nature. Hiking routes for all ages lead through the beautiful countryside, and guided tours increase the likelihood of spotting falcons, golden eagles, or even a deer. One tip for the perfect ending: a visit to the restaurant in the heart of the park, which serves Sardinian specialties made from regional produce.
- Header - Photo by AleksandarNakic on Getty Images
- Paragraph 2 - Photo by kojin_nikon on Adobe Stock
- Paragraph 2 - Photo by kkoszowski on Getty Images
- Paragraph 3 - Photo by Torruzzlo on Shuterstock
- Paragraph 3 - Photo by Sergio Serra on Shuterstock
- Paragraph 4 - Photo by xenotar on Getty Images
- Paragraph 4 - Photo by mninni on Adobe Stock
- Paragraph 5 - Photo by Davya on Shuterstock
- Paragraph 5 - Photo by Tomoland on Getty Images
- Paragraph 6 - Photo by Marco Mul on Shuterstock
- Paragraph 6 - Photo by liggraphy on Shuterstock
- Paragraph 7 - Photo by famveldman on Adobe Stock
- Paragraph 7 - Photo by Jupiterimages on Getty Images