Did you know that Funchal translates as "much fennel"? The capital of the autonomous region of Madeira got this name from its discoverers, who back then found a lot of fennel on the island. However, fennel is not of any importance in this article - instead, we would like to inspire you with some ideas, how you can enjoy 24 hours of Funchal.
Funchal and Its Diversity
From Prima Caju, you can reach Praça do Município square in just a few strides. Here lies the imposing city hall, Câmara Municipal de Funchal. You can explore the entrance and courtyard on your own or book a tour. The Jesuit church Igreja de S. João Evangelista right next door can also be visited. Afterward, continue to Funchal's cathedral called "Sé." The parent church of the Funchal diocese was consecrated in 1517 and is worth a visit. It convinces with its unique architecture - a mixture of Gothic, Moorish, and Manueline elements paired with the influence of the island's local architecture.
High up above the Sea
After a relaxing lunch break and with renewed energy, we head for the heights. Especially flower lovers and friends of botanical gardens should not miss this excursion. The Teleférico do Funchal, one of two cable cars in town, takes you from the old city to the top station at Largo das Babosas. The cable car was inaugurated in November 2020 and is one of seven cable cars in Madeira. During the ride, you get to enjoy the breathtaking view of the city, the surrounding mountains, and the sea.
- Header - Photo by Andre Carvalho for Visit Madeira
- Paragraph 2 - Photos by Restaurant Prima Caju
- Paragraph 3 - Photo by Digital Travel Couple for Visit Madeira
- Paragraph 4 - Photos from Fábrica Santo Antonio on Facebook
- Paragraph 5 - Photo by Reiseuhu on Unsplash
- Paragraph 5 - Photo by Andre Carvalho for Visit Madeira
- Paragraph 6 - Photo by Monika Guzikowska on Unsplash
- Paragraph 6 - Photo by Cais da Ribeira on Facebook
- Paragraph 7 - Photo from Madeira Cable Car
- Paragraph 8 - Photos by Andre Carvalho for Visit Madeira
- Paragraph 9 - Photos by DigitalTravelCouple for Visit Madeira
- Paragraph 10 - Photos by Castanheiro Boutique Hotel