SAF / MEDIF form
The purpose of the SAF / MEDIF form issued by the International Air Transport Association (IATA) is to enable SWISS Medical Services to determine that no medical concerns exist regarding fitness for air carriage and that all entities involved in travel can make the necessary arrangements. The form should be completed by the passenger concerned as well as their attending physician, and should be sent to the SWISS Medical Services by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax to +41 (0) 58 584 6845.
A SAF / MEDIF form is required in the following cases:
- In the case of an acute illness or an accident.
- Passengers who need to be transported on a stretcher.
- Passengers who require supplementary oxygen on board.
- Passengers who need the assistance of an accompanying person due to a mental or physical health condition.
- Passengers who recently underwent surgery.
- Passenger who for medical reasons require an additional seat.
- Passengers suffering from an illness which is suspected to be contagious (e.g. H1N1 virus).
- Passengers who are deaf-blind.
- Babies under 7 days of age.
- People with an arm or leg plaster cast which was fitted within 5 days (for long-haul flights) or 48 hours (for short-haul flights) before departure.
If the passenger has a medical condition that creates reasonable doubt that she/he can complete the flight safely without requiring extraordinary medical assistance during the flight.