Our on board assistance
Most airports will have wheelchairs that are available for you to use free of charge. Transportation vehicles are also available, and the accompanying staff will make sure that everything runs smoothly, both for your departure and when you arrive.
On our long haul aircraft an on board wheelchair is provided. Upon request this is also possible on short- and medium haul flights. Thanks to this special wheelchair, passengers with disabilities can move within the aircraft, as they are especially designed to fit through the aisle of the aircraft.
Our crew will gladly stow your carry-on items and will provide wheelchair assistance to move you to the lavatories and back to your seat. Assistance with unpacking and identifying food on the meal tray is also provided. Flight attendants cannot assist with any medical services, assistance inside the lavatory, or in actual feeding.
Necessity of a travelling companion
A travel companion is required in the following cases:
- If the passenger cannot help themselves in the event of an emergency evacuation
- If the passenger cannot communicate with flight attendants over safety instructions
- If the passenger cannot understand or follow the safety demonstration
We suggest you discuss your proposed trip with your doctor and make all the necessary preparations. Then book your flight as soon as possible (at least two days before departure), and tell us what you would like, either by email to email@example.com or by phone to +41 (0) 848 333593.
* Seats for special-category passengers will remain free of charge according to their requirements. Passengers who booked their flight on flyedelweiss.com please contact the Service Center +41 (0)848 333 593 or firstname.lastname@example.org
All other guests secure their free seat reservation through their booking office.
Depending on the level of disability, a SAF/MEDIF form may be required before the passenger is permitted to travel.
We advise passengers with a wheelchair to go to Check-ins 1 or 3 at Swissport's Careport desk in Zürich or at the Check-in of your departure airport at least 2 hours before departure.
Bringing your own wheelchair
If you have your own wheelchair, please provide us with the details of the battery and the wheelchair's weight and dimensions when you book. For safety reasons, wheelchairs are only ever transported in the cargo hold.
Please make sure that dry, gel or leakproof wet-cell batteries are secured, disconnected and insulated before the flight. Spillable batteries violate safety regulations, and cannot be transported.
Please contact your travel agent or booking centre to book a wheelchair. We offer the following options according to your requirements.
- You can enter and exit the aircraft independently: a wheelchair is required only for the departure and destination airports.;;;(Information for travel agency: WCHR)
- Although you are able to move around the airport independently, you need help climbing stairs and moving around the airport.;;;
(Information for travel agency: WCHS)
- You are wheelchair-bound: If this is the case, you will need an escort with their own booking. Exceptions will be approved by the medical service. Please contact +41 (0)848 333593 with any queries.;;;
(Information for travel agency: WCHC)
Additional information for electric wheelchairs
Please also observe the following to help us ensure the smooth transportation of your electric wheelchair:
- Please do not deflate the tyres before loading the wheelchair, as there is always the risk that you might not be able to find a suitable pump at your destination. The tyres will be able to withstand a pressure loss in the cargo hold.
- Please bring your wheelchair instructions with you in case the loading crew should require any further information on it.
- The wheelchair electronics must be in perfect working order. If you are in any doubt, please arrange for the wheelchair to be checked by a specialist before your trip.
- If your wheelchair is fitted with a wet-cell battery, it must be removed before your departure. The loading staff will put it in a special carrier box for you. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions by phone on +41 (0) 848 333593.